Sunday, November 20, 2005

Our Trip To Italy



Jeremy and I decided that we were ready to take our first trip out of the UK to start exploring Europe. Since he has a cousin living in Italy who was soon to leave for Turkey we thought this would be a good first trip. So we booked our tickets and left on Sunday, November 20 for 4 days. The flight was good with only a small glitch before we left. We booked a seat for Sophie, since they were SOO cheap, but since she is not two, we had to change this, a little hassle.

We flew into the Verona/Brescia, Italy airport having just gone over the Alps! That was very cool to see and unbelievable huge and beautiful. I was amazed at all of the small towns/villages in the mountains and wondered how these communities lived and survived. Traveling internationally really opens up your mind to think about how others live (at least it does for me).

The airport in Verona was small, comparable to the Duluth airport. The customs official was extremely relaxed and didn't even ask us one question! Joel was ready and waiting for us.

Our first stop was at the bed and breakfast that Joel works/stays at called La Fredda for lunch. It is officially an "agristurismo" which means that 60% of what they serve to clients must be produced on their land. They have olive trees, kiwi, oranges, chickens, and pigs and even some peacocks. Sophie loved seeing the animals including Rex the farm's dog. The owners signor Benedetto and signora Costantina were extremely hospitable and made lunch for us even though they don't typically serve lunch to guests. Joel was a great interpreter and speaks Italian fluently. I learned a little before we left (I crammed in 2 weeks worth of Italian) and was glad I did since English is spoken very little in Italy. What I knew and learned was very helpful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home