Cabinet War Room Visit
Today I visited the Churchill Museum & Cabinet War Rooms with a friend from New York. We have both had this on our list of things to see in London so we made a morning out of it.
Shortly after becoming Prime Minister in May 1940, Winston Churchill visited the Cabinet War Rooms to see for himself what preparations had been made to allow him and his War Cabinet to continue working throughout the expected air raids on London. It was there, in the underground Cabinet Room, he announced 'This is the room from which I will direct the war'. It was interesting to see all the rooms, most recreated to the best of their knowledge, but a few, like the Map Room has hardly changed at all from war time. They had sirens going out in various locations, gave me chills just to think what it must have been like to hear those for real! I feel like I live in a small flat, but I could not imagine the cramped quarters they had underground in the cabinet rooms for 6 long years!
The Churchill Museum, the world’s first major museum dedicated to life of Winston Churchill, is a permanent exhibition housed within the unique setting of the historic Cabinet War Rooms. My friend and I were having a hard time with all the modern technology being used to teach us about the past. Some of it we couldn't even figure out! I enjoyed the displays and information about his personal life, family and hobbies that he enjoyed. Overall it was an interesting visit. Mr. Churchill was an impressive man!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home