Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Tour of the BBC


I toured the BBC Television Centre today with the Hampstead Women's Club. It was very interesting, probably even more so to me because I am so television deprived without having one right now! The building was the first ever specifically built and designed to be a television centre in the world. The complex is shaped like a question mark which is bizarre but otherwise the buildings are quite plain. The BBC is quite a production running four television stations and more radio stations, most within the complex. The daily fee to rent out a studio, and just the studio is 30,000 GBP per day ($60,000).

We were able to view into studios, see how the weather broadcasts are produced, visit a dressing room, and play a mock game show in an interactive studio. I volunteered to represent America and thankfully I won the game. Of course my husband had to point out that I beat an elderly British lady, and a guy from Hungary who spoke English as a second language. It was just a reflex to offer myself up to volunteer and once I got up I realized I don't have a television, I know nothing of British culture, "oh my god I am going to make a fool of myself." Thankfully the game included viewing some clips of shows and not naming the shows, but simply asking questions from what we had viewed. For my hard work I won a BBC coffee mug.

Overall it was interesting and informative, definitely worth the visit. You can take your virtual tour of the BBC as well by clicking on the colored BBC words. Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home